Friday, December 31, 2010

Wi-Fi Hotspot Safety and Mac Viruses | Walt Mossberg | Mossberg's Mailbox | AllThingsD

Wi-Fi Hotspot Safety and Mac Viruses | Walt Mossberg | Mossberg's Mailbox | AllThingsD.

Q:
I have had a little disagreement with my IT guy. He says that when taking my laptop out in public, I should never type anything with passwords or confidential information. He says that someone can pick up my information. I say that I can’t believe that everyone in public is totally exposed. There must be some way to protect yourself while on a public network. Who is right?
A:
There’s no single correct answer. It’s true that thieves in public places can and do steal passwords and other sensitive information transferred over public Wi-Fi hotspots. But it’s also true that methods like Virtual Private Networks can mitigate this problem, and that most public hotspots are, just by the odds, unlikely to harbor these thieves at any one time. However, my advice is to avoid doing any sensitive tasks, like banking or stock trading, while using public hotspots. And, if you’re doing anything confidential on your company or home network remotely, use a VPN, which is like a secure tunnel through the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment